22 Mar What’s in My Spiritual Toolbox?
When it feels like I’m walking “up” the down-escalator, I make sure I’m plugged into the below practices. What are some of your practices? What items do you want to add and/or take out of your toolbox? I look forward to connecting with you in the comments.
The yogis taught us the importance of having daily disciplines to purify our minds, bodies, senses, and spirits.
- Quick prayer for God to direct my thinking
- Write down my dreams
- Read sacred texts, scriptures, sutras
- Light incense + listen to holy / uplifting music
- Oil Pulling (Sesame oil), wash face, brush teeth, etc.
- Yoga with Del Sol or an Ashtanga personal practice (6 days/week)
- 20 minutes of seated meditation
- Drink water with lemon and apple cider vinegar
When I’ve made yummy snacks to grab, I set myself up for success.
- I make a vegan menu for the week ahead based on:
- Gardening – What is fresh and ready?
- Shopping – What is available?
- Meal Prep – How much time do I have?
- Travel – How many meals do I really need to cook?
- Snack Ideas:
- Banana slices with peanut butter + chia seeds + flax seeds
- Dates stuffed with almond butter + hemp hearts + sunflower seeds
- 3-ingredient Dip for blue corn tortilla chips: roasted cumin seeds, roasted and mashed butternut squash, vegan sour cream
- Twice-baked acorn squash with cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts
- Sweet potato muffins
- Quinoa with pesto and fresh herbs/veggies
Keep a Strong Vitamin Game
But not too strong… I rotate things out and take a few days of fasting from vitamins to make sure I’m not overloading my system.
Here’s what I’m taking for Immune and Respiratory Health:
- Vitamin C, E, D, B
- Astragalus Root
- Dong Quai
- Oregano oil
- Garlic oil
- Red sage
- Rhodiola rosea
- Black elderberry
- Minerals + magnesium
- Colloidal silver
Break up the day with mood-lifters:
- Read the astrology forecast or something fun
- Acts of Service for others
- Play holy music + burn some sage
- House cleaning – keep everything fresh and sparkly
- Warm Tea + Journaling a daily inventory of my behavior/emotion: Do I need to clean anything up?
- Salt bath and alone time.
- Put the phone on airplane mode.
- 20-minute meditation
- Request assistance in dreamland for efficient processing and resting.
Here are few things my talented friends are doing:
- Del Sol Yoga and Kung Fu online!
- Check out this non-partisan subscription box jam + coloring books from my friends for anxiety-reducing activism you can do from home with your kids!
- Engage in a really sweet global meditation from my colleague to help calm nerves and pour some optimism into the world: My Wild Magic’s YouTube
- Lighten up with a Free Tarot Friday reading – noon on our facebook page – yay!
Here’s my Gaia watch list:
- Awake: The Life of Yogananda
- What is Real? The Story of Jivamukti Yoga
- One Track Heart: The Story of Krishna Das
Here are some podcasts I’m enjoying:
- Pilgrim Heart Podcast
- Ram Dass Here and Now
- Shakti Hour Podcast
- Vedanta and Yoga
What’s on my nightstand:
- Lilly Dale: The true story of the town that talks to the dead, by Christine Wicker
- Autobiography of a Yogi, by Paramahamsa Yogananda
- The Yoga of Discipline, by Gurumayi Chidvilasananda
- Yoga and Veganism, The Diet of Enlightenment, by Sharon Gannon
What’s on my yoga playlist:
- Sri Argala Stotram (Show Me Love), Krishna Das
- Sueno en Paraguay, Chancha Via Circuito
- Om Tara, Hamsa Lila
- Sowing the Seeds of Love, Tears for Fears
- Samba Sadashiva, Donna De Lory
- Once in a Lifetime, Talking Heads