23 Apr Chiron in Aries (2018-2027): A comprehensive guide to overcoming your karmic patterns
By Tiffany Harelik
At times, we find ourselves in a position of being a prisoner of our own making. No matter what we do (or don’t do), unwanted patterns continue. But why? Where is our inner alchemist? And how can we move into greater understanding of our pain and suffering?
Have you ever found yourself in the same situations over and over again at work? Or noticed patterns in your relationships? Have you ever been thoroughly ready for a move, a change, or a breakthrough, and at the same time completely stuck? Have you ever felt that “no matter where you go, there you are”?
There is a part of each of us, at times, that feels small, vulnerable, eternally stuck, or deeply afraid. These pain points are signals from Chiron. His message to you is a wake up call: it’s time to begin your quest to heal wounds, patterns, and beliefs from the past.
You cannot laugh at the same joke over and over again. So why do you cry over the same problems over and over again? It’s the placement and cycle of Chiron that holds the key to transforming your greatest mental, physical, and spiritual wounds.
Chiron was discovered in 1977. Although the finding of Chiron was first predicted by Scottish astrologer Maurice Wemyss in 1935, it was astronomer Charles Kowal who first noticed the ‘new’ planet in the Heavens on November 1, 1977. Because his discovery had a defined orbit, it was determined to be a minor celestial planet rather than an asteroid or comet. Initially named Object Kowal, the planet was later named Chiron in honor of the mythical Centaur. Nicknamed the rainbow bridge, Chiron closes the gap between Saturn (the old) and Uranus (the new).
The mythos behind Chiron lies the story of the wounded healer.
Throughout history, people have climbed mountains, sat in caves, and spent time with their teachers/gurus seeking spiritual guidance, only to find they held the wisdom inside them all along.
Similarly, Chiron was a seeker of truth. According to legend, he lived in a cave with his half-brother Jupiter on Mt. Pelion. Chiron’s grandfather was Uranus, the Sky, and his grandmother was Gaea, the Earth. He was both mortal and immortal, embodying a blend of animal-instincts, and human intellect.
There are four significant phases in Chiron’s story:
His youth: Isolation.
Chiron was the first Centaur. He wasn’t like the other rowdy and spirited centaurs. Chiron didn’t know how to fit in. The story of Chiron’s youth shows us an alienation theme. Something happened to you at some point early in your life that left you feeling isolated, alone, different, and afraid.
Consideration: What is your earliest memory of something that hurt you? Was there a time you didn’t feel like you fit in? Was there a physical wound early on? What was your first big fear?
His career: Develop the inner-nerd & be of service.
Eventually, Chiron found a teacher who taught him about things he secretly geeked out on: herbs, astrology, poetry, music, etc. He began to see there was a place for him in this world after all. This realization created healing of his alienation wound. He began to sink into his own bones, and even be proud of his unique differences. Chiron felt confident enough to take his newfound gifts back to the herd, offering herbal and esoteric healing to his fellow Centaurs.
Chiron didn’t fit in with the centaurs because he wasn’t meant to be a jock… he needed to become who he was: a healer. The very isolation he suffered from being outcast in his youth, turned out to be his greatest asset once he leveraged the loneliness into personal growth. Only with the recognition that it was finally OK to be him – could he then go back to the centaurs and be of service in his community.
Consideration: This is Chiron’s gift to you as well: You have a deep calling that won’t let you settle in where you don’t belong. What is it? Where do you geek out? What secret club do you want to belong to?
His wounding: To live in pain forever, or transcend it through death?
Chiron went on to become a mentor to heroes like Hercules and Jason, teaching them how to use herbs, develop their inner-magician, and create poisoned arrows. One of these poisoned arrows accidentally struck Chiron (there are various legends on who shot Chiron or if he dropped the arrow on his foot himself). The very medicine he taught and produced was now used against him. Because he was both God and Man, Chiron was immortal. The poison could not kill him, but it was so strong he could not heal either. With no antidote, Chiron was faced with a decision: live forever in pain, or surrender to death.
Consideration: This is Chiron’s metaphor for your current pain and suffering. What are you willing to remain in pain about? What are you willing to put an end to in order to transcend?
His death: From sacrifice to service.
Chiron offered to take the place of Prometheus, who was suffering a terrible punishment for stealing fire from the gods and giving it to mortals. Prometheus was chained to a rock, where his liver was eaten by birds (and restored) daily. The only way he could be released was if an immortal was willing to take his place. Enter Chiron. The Gods were so touched by Chiron’s offer that they allowed him to transcend the physical, to die, and be reborn in Spirit. The only way to cope with his suffering was to accept his situation, then transcend it by serving others.
Consideration: Chiron offers the lesson of acceptance. Where can you embrace the inner nerd and help others? The symbol of Chiron is a key that opens the doors to healing your biggest challenges, hurts, and wounds.
It’s happening for you, not to you.
Chiron is symbolic of a wound you are overcoming, an area you want to develop, and/or a secret talent you have to help others. The zodiac sign and house placement of your natal Chiron give you two major clues as to where you need to pay attention.
The myth illustrates Chiron’s astrological significance through the archetypes of Teacher, Healer, Musician, Hunter-Gatherer, Astrologer and Quest Guide. “He (Chiron) symbolizes self-realization and fulfillment through a holistic union of reason and passion, intellect and instinct, animal and human. A blend of science and art is perfected in his nature. He is closely linked to his half brother Jupiter, the traditional ruler of Sagittarius and the ninth house – areas of the horoscope linked to quests of all kinds. And he is also associated with his father and grandfather, Saturn and Uranus respectively.” (Richard Nolle, Chiron: The New Planet in Your Horoscope, The Key to Your Quest).
Consideration: What is your secret sauce? The mojo that turns you on, tunes you in, and lights you up? How on Earth is your wound related to this?
Chiron is in Aries from 2018-2027.
We are offered an opportunity to work with these themes:
- Overcoming wounds of the heart, head, and emotional body
- Taking responsibility: quitting the blame-game
- Finding ways to DIY (do it yourself)
- Empowerment: improving self-worth
- Removing self-seeking motives
- Developing innovative approaches: becoming the maverick of your field
- Embracing spiritual warrior energy
- Developing power through discipline
- Overcoming a need to be headstrong, first, or right
- Being of service to the herd
- Allowing a death of the ego
- Facing addiction: Let go of your death wish
- Healing codependency: Let freedom ring
- Reaching for the light
- Look for rainbows as your cosmic reminder that all things are possible after the storm
Aries holds the Mars vibrations of energy, drive, and stamina.
Be ready to tackle problems with a head-first approach during this 8-year period. Jump ‘all in’. Limitation and stagnation will be crazy-makers during this period. Find a way to move energy and prana with healthy physical outlets: marital arts, yoga, etc.
Who am I? Why am I here?
The search for identity is a big theme during this period. Look for mentors that can help you reach independence. Ask yourself the bigger questions. Know this: the response will unfold slowly over time. You don’t have to know it all right now. Look for synchronicities, messages in dreams, and read inspirational books – all are ways to ignite the process of determining your purpose. Be willing to move forward by doing the next right thing (not the next thing right).
Examples of people with Chiron in Aries
Timothy Leary, President Jimmy Carter, Carlos Castaneda, Jack Kerouac, Kurt Vonnegut, Aleister Crowley, Maria Montessori, and Carl Jung. Where can you tap into your inner genius? Your best leadership role? Your life’s greatest work?
Find the house in your chart where Aries is, to determine more themes around Chiron in Aries and how that affects you personally. Does Aries fall in your 2nd house of resources and values? Or your 10th house of career? Maybe you 7th house of relationships? Whichever house is involved will reveal more about the story of what needs acceptance and healing over the next several years. Need help with this? Check out our freebies page for guidance on the house meanings.
Chiron’s journey through your chart provides a map of your healing journey.
There is more to the story. To get an idea of the Chiron cycles and how they have (or will) affect your life, look to the major transits. Think of the major transits of Chiron as a heartbeat. There is a natural pulse to each of the transits. Some come strong and hard, others come with ease and grace. If you need help understanding the transits, and where you are in the grand scheme of them, please email email@example.com to get a Chiron reading recorded and emailed to you ($75).
Chiron sextile natal Chiron: Ready or not
- Early childhood and adolescent wounds illuminate which healing path you’re traveling this lifetime. What happened during the ages of 3-16 that I can remember hurting me?
Chiron square natal Chiron: Establishing values
- Subconscious wounding happens in the area where Chiron lands in your birth chart. Where is there an impasse, an illumination? Where is there a need for more love and security? What are my core values and why do I have them? What core values do I hold dear, and which ones can I let go of for now?
Chiron trine natal Chiron: Gaining clarity
- Research the best healers, modalities, mentors, and principles that uniquely help you move forward. This can occur as early as age 7. What alternative health practitioners am I intrigued by? Where can I get curious about opportunities to heal and have a breakthrough?
Chiron quincunx natal Chiron: How can I think about this differently?
- Reevaluation. This period marks a time when you are questioning new perspectives and while new blessings can come of it, it can be an unsettling time. This can occur as early as age 10. Where can I shift my focus to something that helps me instead of hurts me? Do I see a pattern forming that I’d like to dissolve?
Chiron opposition natal Chiron: Wake up call
- “Change, before you have to.” (Jack Welch). The opposition is the heaviest and most influential of the Chiron transits. It is a prelude to the ‘mid-life crisis’ that the Uranus-Uranus opposition brings. There is a ten year period on either side of it when we are seeking answers to the biggest philosophical questions in life: why are we here? It’s a time when you can choose to wake up, and seek a resolution to your deepest healing crises… it’s also a time when you can shut down. What am I willing to do differently? What am I afraid of finding out? Where have I not fully lived my life?
Chiron quincunx (2nd) natal Chiron: Assimilation
- More of the dots are being connected on your healing journey at this stage and you can begin to make sense of the puzzle pieces. If you’ve been active on your journey, this transit may come easier to you than those who have ignored the call to heal. If you’re newly answering a call to healing, it can feel chaotic and tense. Think of it like baking a cake. It may not make a lot of sense to mix all the dry ingredients together, then all the wet. The individual steps don’t seem like they would result in a cake. But after assimilation and baking – voila! Am I ready to commit to a therapist? What puzzle pieces are starting to add up? What is my biggest aha moment so far?
Chiron trine (2nd) natal Chiron: Affirmation
- An open door to healing. At this stage, we begin to see the problem before stepping into the same old situation. We recognize possibilities and are more open minded to alternative solutions. Where am I ready to say yes to life? Where can I consciously improve my life?
Chiron square (2nd) natal Chiron: Mini healing crisis
- Any remnants of past wounds surface again for your attention. Ideally, you have collected some tools in your healing toolkit and you are better equipped to handle intense emotions and mind/body/spirit wounds. Am I equipped to respond to circumstances differently? How is my meditation and yoga practice serving me off the mat?
Chiron sextile (2nd) natal Chiron: Connections, creativity, and opportunities
- Creativity becomes an antidote to any difficult pieces of your journey, and it’s also a result of healing. Where can I think outside the box? What significant meanings can I draw from simple life events?
Chiron return to natal Chiron: A healing cycle is complete
- The Chiron return is when Chiron has traveled around your birth wheel and returns to his home, at the place where he was when you were born. “It’s effect will lie somewhere between two extremes, depending on our overall level of attention to, and conscious work on, the healing and evolution of consciousness in our lives to date. In all cases, our original wounds and their attendant issues will surface again. Whether we respond with love or with fear, guilt, remorse, anger, and/or resentment will depend on our previous work.”
Do you want to Chiron’s current transits?
The Wise Skies digital calendar lays out all of the transits of 2020, conveniently in digital calendar files you can download to any device. Compatible with google calendar, ios, and outlook – this calendar works in any time zone, and even switches with you when you travel. We’ve added descriptions and emojis to help you make the most of the calendar. Check it out here!
Stay up to speed with our newsletter, forecasts, and podcasts
Want more Wise Skies in your inbox? You can sign up for our newsletter here. Our free monthly forecast can be found here, and our podcast is on many platforms by searching “Wise Skies Advice” – here’s the itunes link.
A global view: Zooming out
A Saturn/Chiron square cycle was a major transit of 2017. Themes around letting your inner child be heard, growing up, and taking a more objective approach to dealing with major wounding became available to you that year. This planetary pattern appeared between 1935 and 1952 as well, when Alcoholics Anonymous was established, during World War 2, and the Great Depression. Echoing themes of extreme wounds/healing, there is a second major cosmic event that occurred in the early thirties which we will see again in May 2018 – 2026: the movement of Uranus into Taurus. The shift will hit the fan.
Tiffany Harelik is an accomplished author, publisher, and co-owner of Wise Skies Advice (astrology and numerology forecasts) as well as Spellbound Publishers (metaphysical publishing company). She is a vegan yogi, with a Masters degree in Health Psychology. Find her work at www.TiffanyHarelik.com
Do you want a Chiron reading?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a session. Your 20-30 minute reading will be recorded and emailed to you ($75).